FINISHING TOUCHES

The Priest

The kit included a wooden cutout with the printed image of a priest affixed to one side. As I recall, the small plastic kit that is available includes a number of figurines; both people and animals. I thought it would be nice to have a priest figurine, but I also wanted something better than what came in the kit. A search of the internet turned up a multitude of figurines; all shapes and sizes, however, I never found anything suitable. A figurine would need to be close to the correct scale size while also having the appearance of Old Testament characters. There were plenty of cartoon characters, super heroes and medieval warriors. I even found Sampson, David and Goliath. But nothing that looked like a Biblical priest. Not a huge market for such things I suppose.

While in an A.C. Moore craft store, I was looking through a display of figurines and spotted one that, with a little work, I though could become a reasonable looking priest. The name of the company selling this figurine is Papo; a company apparently based in France. The one I got, pictured on the left is "The King", figure #39014 in their catalog.
Our transformed figurine is on the right. I used an X-acto knife to get rid of the cape, the sword, and the crown. I also trimmed the puffy sleeves down to size and trimmed the boots a little. The boots were repainted a flesh color and stripes were added to resemble sandal straps. The beard and hair were painted black. Blue and gold paint were used on the turban. The robe was kind of hard to create, at least for someone like me, not accustomed to making such things. To make it easier to "dress" the priest, the main body of the robe was made seperate from the sleeves. An ornamental vest, referred to as an ephod in the Bible was added. It really should be blue instead of purplish , but we didn’t actually put a lot of effort into the detail of the priest. Like the golden lamp stand, the description of the priest’s outfit goes into a lot of detail. A sash was added, although you can’t really see it in this photo. A breastplate with “stones” painted on it was fashioned to go on the priest. The water based paint mentioned in Getting Started was used mostly on the priest. You can see in the photo that a small amount red and yellow paint were added to the ashes of the incense altar.

Tabernacle Covering

On the left is the inner covering of the Tabernacle. The Bible describes it a fine twined linen. (Exodus 26:1) Fabric trim was sewn on to add a somewhat ornate look and to achieve the three colors of blue, purple and scarlet. Cherubim appliqués were applied with hot melt glue. The next covering layer of goats hair is the brown felt that came in the kit. You really can't see it in the photo on the right, but it is there. The top two layers are animal skins according to Exodus 26:14. Here we used actual leather material; one of red and the other of black.

Vessels of Brass

Exodus 27:3 tells us that all the vessels and other tools and utensils used in conjunction with the Altar of Burnt Offering were made of brass. It was a simple matter to add a small bench, painted bronze of course, to hold some of these items. The bowls, forks, spoons and other utensils were doll house items found in a craft store.

THINGS WE WOULD HAVE DONE DIFFERENT

Home