THINGS WE WOULD HAVE DONE DIFFERENT

My original expectation was for us to build our model from scratch. That would have required spending time to calculate a suitable scale size, measuring and cutting a lot of wooden pieces, and finding other needed materials. This of course would have been time consuming and since I wanted us to complete this project within a year, going with the kit built model was probably the right thing to do. In that one year span, we spent about twenty seven weeks on this project.

On the other hand, I sometimes wish we had worked from scratch, especially if our time frame had been longer. After all we still spent a lot of time rounding up other materials rather than use what came in the kit. Working from scratch also gives you the ability to build a better quality kit. You can see from our site that we made most of our furnishings from scratch and used fabric rather than the kit supplied yarn for the woven pieces. We probably would have chosen a different type of wood that has little or no wood grain showing. Craft or model building plywood might have been a good choice here. The wooden kit we purchased appeared to be handcrafted rather than mass produced in a factory assembly line. If that be the case, the labor to make a better quality kit would certainly drive up the cost. Although building from a kit is a big project, building from scratch would be a huge project if done right.

The three pieces that form the base for the tabernacle walls were glued directly to the plywood framework on our model. Since I did not want to leave the model at church during the week, transporting it each week became a bit cumbersome. Quite often I would need to do something to the model at home in preparation for the next Sunday. What we should have done is to build the tabernacle structure on a separate plywood base that was the same size or slightly larger than the tabernacle itself. This would have been much easier to transport. Then later, when this part was finished, we could mount this to the large plywood base.

We painted the individual boards that make up the walls of the tabernacle before the walls were put together. This was probably not necessary. When handled, the gold metallic paint shows fingerprints very easily and looses it's luster. The three walls could probably be painted as an assembly just before they are put up. Of course, even then touching and handling will result in the same condition. It is possible to spray paint the outside of the walls after the model is finished. You would need to use newspaper and masking tape to carefully protect the other parts of the model from over spray. Before trying this, check and double check to make sure these areas are covered to prevent them from being painted.

Home